Thursday 10 December 2009

Former Cramahe resident looks to future of W.I.

Former Cramahe Township resident, Laura Haferkorn recently won the 90th Anniversary Past Presidents of the Women's Institutes of Canada Essay Contest.

Her essay is posted below -

FWIC 90th ANNIVERSARY – PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE

by Laura M. Haferkorn, Community Women's Institute

I came late in life to the Women's Institute. Having lived and worked in the city, I was unaware of the organization, so when we retired to the country and I was invited to a meeting in the nearest town, I was surprised at what I learned.

I'd always thought WI originated in England and was open to farm women only. Imagine my delight when I discovered that, in fact, its roots were here in Canada and that any woman could become a member.

I can well understand the need for this organization back in 1897. Most women lived on farms or in small villages. There was little opportunity for them to find out about the latest developments in health, nutrition and other family-related issues.

The tragic loss of Mrs. Hoodless' child and what she chose to do about it was the catalyst for the beginning of an organized and systematic association for women to learn how to better care for their families. When the Women's Institute was formed, it gave those isolated women a forum where they could come together on a regular basis, share their experiences with each other, and learn. It gave them a chance to gain self confidence and to feel that their jobs as wives and mothers had some status. More importantly, it gave them a voice for change: together they could work to fix those problems such as legislated pasteurization of milk.

continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment