Thursday 31 December 2009

Mayor's year-end summary


It has been a busy year in Cramahe Township. Mayor Marc Coombs has writtent the following year-end summary -

I believe it’s no secret we have had a very successful year in 2009. We aren’t taking the back seat to anyone anymore and we should all be rightly proud of our accomplishments in this past year.

I would like to quickly touch on a few highlights:

We were extremely successful in obtaining funding from the other two levels of government, to the tune of almost $6 million. A large portion of this, just over $4m, is for the expansion of our wastewater treatment plant. A project that has been discussed since the 1980s, I am certainly pleased that this Council was able to obtain the funding to allow this to move forward. We also received over $400,000 through the Community Adjustment Fund to revitalize our Industrial Park area; we were one of only two municipalities in Northumberland County to receive money.

I would like to thank Rick Norlock and Lou Rinaldi for their continued support of Cramahe Township.

In 2009 Colborne celebrated its 150th anniversary and what a fantastic celebration. Led by Pat Westrope, the 150th Committee planned and executed a variety of events around this, including a golf tournament, school reunions and of course the parade, which was my personal highlight. We had a great time dressing up in the historical costumes for the day. They even managed to get the weather to co-operate, which I am sure impressed all the out-of-town visitors we had.

Another major event this year was the groundbreaking and start of construction of the new public school in Castleton. When the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board first announced it was planning to close both South Cramahe and Castleton public schools and bus our children to Brighton, I was told by some to not bother getting involved. When the school board makes up its mind there was nothing we could do.

Fortunately there were many in the community who thought differently and we were able to sway the school board's opinion and final decision, Believe me, when I received the phone call that the board was going to suggest the construction of a new school in Cramahe instead, it was one of my happiest days in politics.

And speaking of happy moments, just this month I was able to cut the ribbon at the official opening of Tim Hortons. We started pursuing Tim Horton’s almost ten years ago and so it feels great to see the doors finally open. I know that in many larger communities having a Tim Horton's has become expected but in a small community like ours it's still a big deal.

Everyone I have spoken to over the past nine months or so since this was first announced has mentioned it. Even people from out of town, who know I live here, have mentioned that they have heard about it.

I always say that there are two types of people ….those who told me that Colborne would never have a Tim Horton's and those who said, "Well, we might get one eventually, but Brighton would get one first. I am happy to say they were both wrong."

Not only does this signify to me that we are on the right track when it comes to economic development but I also acknowledge that it means real jobs for people right here in our community. And jobs for those who probably need it most, especially with what we have been experiencing in the past year.

There have been other highlights such as the gazebo, the dedication of the bell in Victoria Square, the heritage clock donated by Holcim, the new recycling containers throughout the township and the start (after 30 or more years) of the Parliament Street reconstruction. And this month we welcomed the Olympic Torch through Colborne.

Which brings me, finally, to thanking all of those involved.

I want to thank my fellow Council members for making this, by far, the best experience I have ever had on council. I want to thank staff for being supportive and working so hard on behalf of our ratepayers and making council look good.

I think that in this last year, we have come together more as a team and I feel your spirit has never been stronger.

I’d like to thank the firefighters for all they do to make our community safe and always responding when called. Theirs is a very noble and giving profession and I salute their commitment to Cramahe Township.

And lastly, to the volunteers on our Boards & Committees, thank you so much for coming forward and being part of our vision going forward. I have sat with many of them on various committees over the years and I think there is much a Committee can do in getting involved in making this a better place to live. I know that many of them are involved on other groups and charities and I thank them for the work that they do there as well.

So, on behalf of myself and Council, I wish you all a very Happy New Year.

Marc Coombs
Mayor
Cramahe Township

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Coombs

    Council has NOT looked good on several occasion
    from banning press and taxpayers from key council meetings to assault charges to a councilor.
    The Staff members employed by us, the taxpayer
    seem to follow suit with ignoring requests for information and failing to provide a fair playing field in various bidding processes this year.
    I have a request to your Staff for the New Year.
    To be alot more honest,competent and professional with everyone you are dealing with, especially us the taxpayer.

    PS The $25,000+ Gazebo we paid for is very unique, as the foundation hardly matches the structure itself its crooked as heck.
    Too bad you didn't hire local contractors as I'm sure they would have gotten it right.

    ReplyDelete